From: Jim Dirkes <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Heat Recovery from a GenSet
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, 23 February, 2012, 12:59 AM

Dear Forum,

I am beginning to model a heating system which uses heat recovered from a diesel engine electricity generator.  The diesel generator operates during the peak electrical demand portions of the day, when itâ??s recovered energy is the primary source of heat for the building.  During the remainder of the day, a boiler provides the heat.  The boiler also serves as a â??second stageâ?? of heating during the day.

I have shown the system in the attachment as I envision it, but have doubts about whether that will work in EnergyPlus.  My cause for doubt is that I essentially show one plant loop feeding another plant loop.

This is somewhat similar to an example in the IO Reference for HeatExchanger:Plate, but the IO Reference discussion also says the object is intended specifically for condenser loops ? which this is not.

I have also thought that perhaps a WaterHeater:Mixed might work instead of the HeatExchanger if I define the WaterHeater natural gas capacity as 0, since I want to use only the recovered energy.

Finally, I thought that some recent discussions on the forum may have addressed this, but I was not paying close attention at the time could not find them today.  If there was such a discussion, Iâ??d be happy if you just gave me a date or search term so I could find it.

So, in short:

1.       Has anyone done something similar?

2.       Am I starting in the right direction?

3.       Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for your help!