RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy associated with replenishment of stock materials

James ?

While I haven?t yet conducted a supermarket analysis, I have encountered projects where we accounted for the mass flow impact on heating and cooling loads.

In a more memorable case, the heat transfer was intra-zonal, rather than between building and outdoors. I believe the same process could be applied to the inside-outside mass flow, though. In this one, thermal oil heaters in zone 1 consumed natural gas. The hot thermal oil was piped to large baking ovens in zone 2 which radiated a portion of the heat from the thermal oil. The baked product then was conveyed at high temperature into the packaging room (zone 3), where a large portion of the thermal energy was released as the product was cooled. We set this up with a utility load in zone 1, with a low Sensible/Latent HG ratio. Then, zones 2 and 3 had large ?internal energy sources? with Sensible/Latent HG ratios as appropriate. In this case, all the heat gain was positive ? ie heat added to the space. However, I have also specified negative internal loads in spaces where a specific process was removing heat from the space.

So I think we could do what you?re suggesting ? accounting for mass flow thermal effects ? using a structure similar to the above. A caveat ? this was an eQUEST, so the structure might be different if done in energy plus.

But that does beg the question ? how significant is the effect?

I think a back of the envelope calculation ? mass flow x cp x delta T = thermal load ? could give us inputs into a schematic model to check the significance.

Aaron

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov