[EnergyPlus_Support] Energy associated with replenishment of stock materials

Dear Forums,

For certain occupancy types, such as warehouses and supermarkets, there can be a substantial material flow in and out of the building.

·         In the case of a warehouse, this is due to material coming into and leaving the building on supply trailers.

·         A supermarket is similar; products arriving on a truck and leaving in the arms of customers.

Much of this product arrives to the building at the outdoor ambient temperature (which can be warm or cold) and all of it leaves at the conditioned zone temperature.  In past projects where I was responsible for the sizing of cooling or heating systems this component was sometimes a significant portion of heating or cooling load.  When calculating the impact on heating or cooling load, especially when the products were high-mass, I would assign an amount of time over which the product changed temperature from outdoor ambient to room ambient because often all of the deliveries were made in a short span and it was not realistic to assume all of the heat transfer taking place instantaneously.

None of my previous energy models have had significant incoming / outgoing “product” other than people (whose temperature self-regulates J).  Now I’m thinking about a supermarket which likely moves tons of product material every day.  Have any of you figured a method for addressing this aspect of energy use?

Thanks in