RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Can we let supply air temperature float?

This is a forum for EPlus users.

I know how to use EPlus, but I am not active in modelling all the different models for LEED certification.

My interest on the forem is simply give those user who had problems in EPlus simulation some help in the IDF coding.

My comments are generally on real system related idea, and not on ASHRAE guide lines for modelling..

You mentioned that you are a control engineer playing with HVAC control.  Control engineering covers a wide field.  In my BSc days, control engineering was on controllers, sensors, actuators, and feed-back systems using analogue simulators.  There were some mathematical analysis on system stabilioty.

EPlus is based on heat balance calculatin to reach a controlling objective of meeting a temperature set point. Usually do not have stability problem, except dealing with very thick construction material of large thermal mass.

When the room is cooled to a particular temperature, EPlus compute the heat trasfer into the building from outdoor air, solar radiation conditions, etc.  A zone usually have four walls and a floor and a ceiling.  Heat would conduct through these surfaces,  The solar radiation will pass through the windows.  The two conduction and radiation compnents are calculate separately.  There are internally  added loads, such as people, lights, equipment.  If there are windows on the opposite side, some solar radiation may be radiate out there.

All these heat are added together. The floor usually has a lower ground temperature below, and leak away some of the total heat from the envirnment above ground.  The different temperatures of the surfaces are mixed together by convection into a zone mean air temperature.  This is the un-controlled or natural temperature of the building, at that time of the day.  At night, whatever is collected during the day would be conducted out to the OD and ground.

When the room is to be cooled to say from 30°C to 25°C,  a volume of air at 30°C is replaced with  air of 20°C and mixed in the zone.  The will balance the building heat input to provide a fixed set point temperature of 25°C  When the environment condition changes, the natural temperature would change, and the inlet cool temperature will be changed to match.  Because of this process, the zone thermostat does not behave like a real one which has a dead set back range.

If the 20°C cool air cannot be provided, the system will issue a set point not met warning at that time step.  This is something you can play around and by re-designing, or something wrong with the code.

In the control engineering, some delay may be needed to make the system stable.  Feed back loop is not used or simulated at present.

The ASHRAE objective is to make living comfortable using HVAC in buildings.

The strong part of EPlus is  the calculation of the heat load on the building envelope.

If you are not interested in the building characteristics, you can fave the other part of EPlus which is simulate the HVAC system,  DX coil, water coil, fan, pumps, chiller, boiler, colling tower, etc.  Connected together to form a HVAC for a building.

A real system can usually be simulated by EPlus if the components are being characteristed into an object for simulation.

All those items mentioned in your mail are available.

The simulation program requires the input data to be in exact form.  This is doen by generating a input data file (IDF).  The complete structure of the IDF is in the IDD file.

Each component object  is a fixed format text segment terminated with a semicolon.  The whole IDF is a collection of these segment, some of which must be placed in a certain order.

User of EPlus usually down load the complete EPlus program from the EPlus website, listed at the end of this mail.

GettingSatarted Manual (PDF) provids with the definition of all the files used and generated in the simulation and a tutorial to use the IDFeditor and to add features to the IDF.

The download came with over 200 examples in the exampleFiles directory.

The complete description of all the IDF objects are in the Inut/Output Ref. Manual. (PDF)

The programming principles are in the Engineering Ref. Manual.

There are a few thousands of pages of manual with further references are included in the EPlus download.

The getting started manual will provide you a simple 5 zone building, which you can modify.  There is a 3 zone building to show a recidential model.  The reason for the 5 zone is to isolate the walls in the four directions, so that you can study the solar component in detail in a 24 hour period.  You can rotate the building to change the anble of incident of the sun and windows, etc.

There are many other models of building available in the exampleFile directory for you to play with, without going to GoogleSketchUp or OpenStudio to generate your own.  You can start building the IDF directly from OpenStudio.  It is nice to play with at the beginning, but you find it harder and harder when you wanted to make changes.

I would suggest that you download the EPlus program, and read the Getting Started.PDF in the Documention folder.

After that, depends on whether you have  programming or other skills, to optimize direction of using the EPlus program.

I myself do not know all the features available in Eplus.  I can usually find what I need from the manuals.

 Dr. Li