RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Solar Collectors - Heating and DHW

As I have mentioned in this forum before, EPlus does not operate exactly as a real system.  It is a simulation.

The diagram in the example file has two tanks.
Tank 1 source side connected to the solar panel.  A pump with small head is used to simulate the thermal circulation.

Tank 1 use side is the DHW water supply, it is looped to the secnod tank, (tank 2)

Tank 2 has a electric heater with  a small volume to simulate an instaneous tank.  This is to simulate immediate transfer of heat to the DHW without having to heat up the tank 2 first.

You may be able to replace this with a gas heater (Propane Boiler), if you specify the tank 2 as a heater tank with a natural gas heater instead of electricity.

The gas heater can in fact be shared.

The third tank is there for isolation of fluid to the radiant panel.  It is considered as part of the DHW.  When the DHW is hot, the storge tank is charged.  The charging stops, when the temerature is low.  This is exactly the same way as the solar panel operation.

When the gas heater is on, the temperature of the DHW tank  supply  is always high, then both DHW and storage tank can be operting at the same time.

I am typing this from memory.  It has been sume time when I last looked at the solar panel example.  E&OE.

Recently (last year), another user use the cut and paste to use this model to a building system.

 Dr. Li