Re: [Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1-2007 modeling for a Baseline system with humidity control

From: Nick Caton [mailto:ncaton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:32 PM
To: Jim Dirkes; bldg-sim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1-2007 modeling for a Baseline system with humidity control

Hi Jim!  Two separate thoughts:

1.       My position is that for Appendix G baselines, mandatory provisions (#.4) are a given, as spelled out in the first Appendix G passages.  Prescriptive requirements (#.5) do not apply except where specifically called out, such as with the envelope tables for determining baseline constructions.

2.       It seems to me a clearer Appendix G mandate that the baseline’s thermostat/humidity setpoints must match the proposed design.

Without cracking open my copy to find citations, my strong hunch is that any reviewer who does note “excessive reheat quantities” could be refuted on both above points, emphasizing (and finding citations for) the second.

A related/potentially helpful thought outside the framework of Appendix G:  I think there are exceptions permitting dehumidification reheat in 90.1...  I roughly recall this coming up once and finding it a non-issue through some exception/passage…

~Nick

cid:489575314@22072009-0ABB

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER