RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] US: costs and features of Zero Energy Commercial Buildings

Thanks for sharing it, Jean.

I like the concept of net-zero! It?s good and appropriate to investigate opportunity and new concepts.  These projects appear to be exploring the bounds of what is possible ? and that is often both challenging and just plain fun!

I am worried a bit about the lack of objective cost comparison information in the report, especially ROI.  Perhaps that?s due to the newness of the enterprise ? we?re still in the early stages of R&D.

When attempting to create a new norm, though, you always need to compare to the current ?best practice? and ask basic questions, something like ?Are buildings made for people? Or are people made for buildings?? ?What are we trading for the extra performance??  Since I think buildings are made for people, I ask ?How can building best serve people??  ?How should we most effectively use our people?s resources?

Part of the driving motivation for my efforts to create excellent energy models is to help my clients make the best use of their resources, how can they best serve their internal and external ?customers? well.  That seems to be a balance of comfort and indoor air quality for health and productivity, low operating cost for profitability and reasonable installation cost and paybacks.

I believe that the energy modelers are helping identify that ?best balance?.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx