[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Best practices for data collection?

I'm going to rant a bit, so watch out.

Far too little money. From what I've read 8-12k is about average.
I wish I could get Architects to understand the impact of Window to Wall ratio. To me this is a defining characteristic. I don't care how many layers the glass has, it can't compete with an insulated wall!!!

In Germany the Architect must submit a ENeV nachweis for building allowance, which is basically a norm based calculation to show that they a) meet the norm energy savings against the reference "baseline" building. This document has constructions and properties, zoning and schedules. for me that document is the start. The building componants are allowed to change but may not be "worse" than what was submitted here.

As for how you will do your data collection. I like the previous suggestion, but will probably try and make the architect see that they should use better materials than is required for the baseline.

Another very important tip is to freeze the architectural layout as the only one regarded for the submittal for the LEED design phase and construction phase (or sometimes combined) submittals.

The right way (if you're involved early enough) to do simulations for LEED is to help the architect by using only the idealairloads simulations to investigate the effect of orientation, window to wall ratio, shading, etc. And then only do the ASHRAE simulation once the parts for the building have been ordered.

Architects always want to keep there glass facades and think they can make up for the energy wasting with hightec HVAC. This is an illusion. The first place to save energy is the facade. The second place is the lighting. HVAC should be a small bonus at the end.

Comparing detailed HVAC concepts is a waste of time...mostly. Dr Li will agree with me, here.