[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Natural ventilation through horizontal openings_AirflowNetwork

Good question. The horizontal opening is designed for interlevel openings like stairwells (see engineering ref.). I think the reason why roof cracks are mainly ignored is because most infiltration is wind driven and when the wind flows over the roof it mainly creates a negative pressure which may result in small amounts of exfiltration. Exfiltration is usually not as interesting as infiltration. The best article I've seen dealing with the "infiltration" of buildings is:

http://ibpsa-boston.com/minutes/IBPSAboston-presentations_2011-09-16_Gowri.pdf

I'm trying to come up with a good infiltration methodology for a sawtooth roofed factory. The large factory hall in nestled inside other buildings and basically only the roof is exterior surface which peaks out about 2 m above all else. The aspect ratio of the hall gives it a large volume to exterior surface area relationship.
150 x 90 x 12 m

Let us know what you learn.