[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Natural ventilation through horizontal openings_AirflowNetwork

Hi,

Did you see the following note in the Input/Output Reference under detailed opening?

"The AirflowNetwork model does not have a model for bi-directional flow through large horizontal openings. For this reason, AirflowNetwork:MultiZone:Component:DetailedOpening should not be used for horizontal openings. The best modeling technique in this case is to put an AirflowNetwork:MultiZone:Surface:Crack object in a horizontal surface and use a large air mass flow coefficient. Crack flow is assumed to be uni-directional in any given timestep (but
can reverse flow direction from timestep to timestep)."

I've never tried using a crack to represent a horizontal window. It seems like you might run into the problem that the crack isn't operable like the actual horizontal window is, so you will get really large exfiltration rates at times when the window should be closed.

Let us know how it goes!

Sam