RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Learn from my mistakes - EMS to avoid DX coil freeze - bad implementation

Easy.  Instead of the re-heat coil in the VAV damper, use a cooling coil.  The data needs cooling is a zone problem and not an AHU or DOAS problem.

I do not think that you will expose the cooling DX AHU to the weather in Winter.  You can used the indirect chilled water coil with Glycol, if you need to do cooling at the roof top.

Withe current VAV model, the fresh air will flow into the zone regardless at 14°C or whatever value.
When damper is at minimum, the re-heat is turn on.  When the damper is maximum, the Zone Dx cooling coil is turned on.  This is the only addition, and is for a special zone.  I have not added any mechanical fan in the loop.

When I said change the order of heating and cooling, I simply meant to place the heating coil in front of the cooling coil in the AHU configuration.  The program would test the inlet air temperature for heating or cooling first.  If the inlet air temperature is low,  the cold air will always be heated before reaching the DX cooling coil. You can still turn on the cooling coil to condense out the moisture for dumidity control.  The air is heated up again by HE (building ducts) or reheat heater.  This is a traditional HVAC.  The fan speed can be variable, if correct control algorithm  is applied.

I do not hate ASHRAE. They are doing a good job in building regulations.  I have not read their guide lines, because the documents are not free.

LEED certification has generated many jobs.  Overloaded under sized mechanical systems have also created more jobs.  They are doing well to help the economy.  I am still buying LEED certified condos.

 Dr. Li