RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: How to set up a Coil:Heating:Water object in a CAV system to controls?

Hi, Kelvin,

Have you got an anwer for your question?

If your question is on why using a setpoint for the supply air and not directly controlled by the thermostat, the reason is that if one zone thermostat is use to control the supply air temperature, only the control zone would have the desired temperature.  The thermostats in the slave zones have no control.  If the load pattern of the slave zones is not same as the controlled zone, the slave zone will have different temperature values.

By using the setpoint manager to control the supply air, all the zone thermostats are available for the use of each zone.  In general, the supply air is set to over cooling condition, and a reheat heater is used to adjust the zone temperature.  The use of a VAV dampler can also control the zone temperature within the designed load demand conditions.  This is however not an energy saving configuration.

The direct thermostat control can be sue for all  the Dx, gas, electric, or water coils.

Because of the introduction of the HVACtemplate:system:VAV, very few new users know that the master/slave thermostat control can also be applied to a multizone air loop.

In the example files, the direct thermostat control of the coil is usually for the zone equippment only.  For multi-zone air loop, the VAV example is used, therefore no direct control by the zone thermostat for the supply air.

You said in an older mail below:, "the zone temperature in winter time can't be maintained."

PSZ_1:1 Supply Equipment Outlet Node, !- Sensor Node Name
Should this be the zone node, where the thermostat is mounted.  Somehow, it has to be linked to the heating set point schedule and not a fixed number.. The coil air outlet node temperature is usually higher than the zone temperature.  That is again a VAV air loop design condition, which requires. damper control.

The control variable "Flow" seems to limit the control to flow volume and not on/off as in the Dx coil.

I wonder, what happens, if you connect a zone fan coil unit and use it to feed multi-zone.
I have not found the definite answer yet.

 Dr. Li