Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Some issues about non-convex surfaces

I think the question is not how to fix this issue, the question is to understand it. The IO reference says not to use FullInteriorAndExterior in non-convex zones but its not very clear why? It is possible to get two different results from FullExterior and FullInteriorAndExterior options but we will not be able to separate out the better result if we do not understand their relation with non-convex zones. Also sometimes there are no warnings.

One reason which I can think of is -- In case of FullExterior, all the surface will get equal amount of diffuse radiation (after the floor absorbs the beam radiation), i.e. they will have "SOME" share of radiation that came inside. But in case of FullInteriorAndExterior, since it calculates the amount of beam radiation falling on each surface in the zone, and there could be some surfaces (in non-convex zone) which are not able to "see" (in terms of view factor) the exterior window, hence those surfaces will not have "ANY" share of incoming radiation. That is why we get warnings saying e.g. "There are 14 surfaces which are casting surfaces and are non-convexShadowing values may be inaccurate." But this is my hypothesis, someone should correct me if needed.

PS: Farhang have you checked Engineering reference on this?

Vaibhav Jain
www.vaibhavjain.co