RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Two AHUs for a zone

Francesco,

If I were in that situation, This is what I would do:

Proposed

Heat recovery + preheat + humidifier + heating coils + 2 fans

DX cooling with room setpoint = 50C and proposed ventilation control (I am guessing that the system uses 100% outdoor air in the cooling season, so the ventilation system is providing all of the cooling)

Baseline

System 4 in each zone with cooling room setpoint = 50C and ventilation control same as proposed system (for the same effective cooling)

It makes no sense to me to create an artificial cooling system that consumes energy where none exists!  My rationale is that the client?s comfort criteria are relaxed such that ?no cooling? or only ventilation-provided cooling is acceptable.  You could say that their design criteria are such that they will accept 50C as their cooling setpoint (even though it is unlikely ever to occur).  This results in an energy model that provides a reasonable comparison between the two options.  If you make an artificial cooling system, you might double the total energy and completely destroy the comparison.

I am fairly sure that this approach has been considered acceptable by LEED reviewers.  Regardless of whether they like it or not, it strikes me as completely backward to do other than make a comparison which is realistic.

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov