Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Zone Temperature Peaks too Early

Jeffrey,
Agreed about the need to rule out the slab first and then to use FullInteriorAndExterior solar calculations. You might also experiment with the new TimestepFrequency solar shadowing calculation. Further I suggest you use a room air model with a ZoneDryBulbTemperature gradient and that you use a full Air flow network with your window sensor results for scheduled controls.

This is for the Trek house that is testing of bioPCM by the green building research lab that you work at correct?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhefli5om94t9se/PSU-PASSAVE-HOUSE-BioPCM_Poster.pdf

I suppose you are first validating your control case then your PCM case. The PCM case should likely be a bit off because of the lack of ability to model hysteresis the lack of a defined method to model the effects of PCM on convection.

You might read: MODELING PCM-ENHANCED INSULATION SYSTEM AND BENCHMARKING ENERGYPLUS AGAINST CONTROLLED FIELD DATA  Som Shrestha Page 804 https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g3q68cs4kx6tum/SOM-PCM-VALA.pdf
"Among the various algorithms available in E+ for surface convection at the inside and outside face of the heat transfer surfaces, ?SimpleCombined? model showed the best match between measured and E+ predicted outside surface temperature and  ?CeilingDiffuser? model showed the best match for inside surface temperature."

And the three attached docs on testing of PCM's and how PCM transition effects convection, and how convection effects model results. .

If I where you I might setup a parametric study with jE+ alternating through the many convection algorithms to see what shows the closest agreement with the experimental data curves.

Looking forward to your results.

Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203  | Mobile 503-688-8951