[EnergyPlus_Support] EER Calculations

Dear forum,

Not too long ago, there was a thread of conversation regarding a simple way to calculate the COP needed for a DX coil so that a desired EER would result in EnergyPlus output.  For example, if you want your DX system to have an EER of 11.0 so as to meet minimum ASHRAE 90.1 efficiency, what coil COP should be used?

I posted something on this topic a week or two ago, but can’t find it, so I’m posting a new message after some very helpful discussions with Bereket Nigusse of the Help Desk and updating the spreadsheet I use for these calculations.

I hope that it is helpful to many of you!

In short:

·         Make a successful auto-sizing run and determine “nominal” coil capacity and airflow
(when manually defining a coil, the procedure varies slightly and is described in the attached spreadsheet)

·         Enter the nominal capacity, airflow and desired system EER in the spreadsheet to have it calculate the “Req’d COPe+”

·         Use the “Req’d COPe+” as the DX coil COP in your IDF.

·         Expect perfect EER calculation without trial and error!

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653