To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; bldg-sim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:29:39 -0500
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] HSPF in various climate zones

Dear modeling communities,
We're busy trying to reach ASHRAE 90.1-specified HSPF values for a project that requires heat pumps in the baseline energy model and have constructed the calculation procedure in Excel (at least we think we have!)
It appears to be the case that reaching a specific HSPF value is dramatically more difficult in climate Zone V (where I live) than in Climate Zone II - due to heat pumps performing better in warmer climate regions.
Nonetheless, ASHRAE 90.1 makes no distinction for the required HSPF by climate zone
I'm not even sure that a heat pump is commercially available with HSPF of 7.7 for Climate Zone V! Have any of you investigated this? Have you found this to be true? Have you modeled HSPF for climate zone V and seen favorable savings for alternative systems?

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653