Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Conditional HVAC template

Answers below.

Cheers!

2013/12/19 <e.bazafkan@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Santiago,

I couldn't find the exact practical difference between HVACTemplate:Thermostat and ZoneControl:Thermostat:OperativeTemprature

Well, instead of controlling the zone's sensible air tempeature you would be controlling for Operative temperature and therefor taking into acount the mean radiant temperature for the zone. Is this what you really want to do?

Extract from the input output refference manual (p.1287):

"ZoneControl:Thermostat:OperativeTemperature
This object is used to modify the program?s behavior for ZoneControl:Thermostat objects.
One input object is used for each thermal zone to indicate if that zone?s thermostat control
mode should be overridden to effect operative temperature control rather than traditional air
temperature control. Zone Control:Thermostatic and related set point objects also need to be
included in the input file. When this object is used, the zone can be controlled by a weighted
mixture of radiant and air temperatures (rather than just air temperatures)"

Also if I understand your answer correctly, There is no way to put these conditions in an schedule (or any other automated thing) and I have to play with parameters until these conditions are satisfied.

Not that I'am aware of. At least not as a predefined object. I'm sure you can program an EMS control to do what ever you need the control to do. To me no more than 50 hours of... etc, don't sound like control statements, but more like HVAC sizing/design requirement than control conditions. But maybe I am missing the point.

And finally, I am not aware of the applications of the expanded idf file. I compared it to the original idf file and it seems that this expidf has some fields that are generated by the machine., all related to HVAC systems.

The HVAC template is a simplified way of creating hvac systems without having to define, connect and control each of the objects in an HVAC system, if you need to go beyond the capabilities of the template, then the expanded idf file will have all of the objects from the template system so that you can modify them to your needs.
Maybe you don't need to change thermostat to control operative temperature, maybe just check that your conditions are achieved by adding corresponding output variable, report 'Zone Operative Temperature'. That really depends on what you want to model.

Sorry for all these questions!!

No problem! This is just my very humble opinion, please don't take it for 'expert' advice. E+ documentation is your best friend!

cheers!

Ehsan