Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Trombe wall with ventilated slab

Hi Wayne and Jeff and thanks for your replies.
Wayne, you are quite Right about the thermal mass of a trombe wall.  I am more likely to use an air panel with a fan.
Now the point is that in EnergyPlus the ventilated slab object cannot be connected directly to an air panel.  It can get heat only through a heating coil.  I may be using a water loop with two coils to exchange heat between air and water at the air panel and at the ventilated slab end of the loop, but this seems to me a very inefficient way to handle this situation.
Any thoughts?
cheers
Vincent

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Wayne Appleyard <mailto:Wayneapple@xxxxxxx>Wayneapple@xxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support] <<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Vincent,

> I guess I wonder why you would use a Trombe wall to provide source heat to an air slab. You would get more heat into the slab with something more like a low mass air heating panel. The mass of the Trombe wall is just going to lower the temperature of what you would get out of the system without the mass.
>
> I am not sure if you can model an air panel in Energy Plus or not. Probably with a fan, but not with natural convection.
>
> I don't think you can attach a Trombe wall to an air slab in SUNREL (which is still available, but a bit glitchy interface wise).
>
> Good luck,
>
> Wayne Appleyard
> Architect, LEED AP
> Sunstructures Architects

Hello Vincent.
> See if you can get a copy of PASOLE by Bob McFarland at LASL in the 1980s.
>  It was the hourly simulation used to develop the the SLR method. Also, I believe you'll find  correlations for this type of system in the  Vol III tables.
> Another possibility is SERIRES, now called SUNREL, which I think had a Trombe wall as well. You'll have to specify vented or invented most likely.
> Finally, I seem to recall FCHART can be used to get correlations for this as well, using the 'mass wall' option.
> Of course, you could always roll your own TRNSYS model for this.
> Jeff
>
> Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E.inactive, FASHRAE, FIBPSA
Department of Architecture
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77845-3581
Office: 979-845-6507, Lab: 979-845-6065
Fax: 970-862-2457, <mailto:jhaberl@xxxxxxxx>jhaberl@xxxxxxxx, <http://www.esl.tamu.edu>www.esl.tamu.edu
> On May 26, 2014, at 1:39 PM, "vincent lacour <mailto:vlacour@xxxxxxxxx>vlacour@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support]" <<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to simulate a Trombe wall used to preheat a ventilated slab.  I first tried using the ventilated slab object, but it cannot be combined with a Trombe wall. Then I went to the low temperature radiant object, but this object does not work with hot air.
>> Any thoughts?
>> Cheers
>> Vincent

 Posted by: vincent lacour <vlacour@xxxxxxxxx>