[EnergyPlus_Support] EnergyPlus suitability for use in my postgrad project

Hi,

I am a Computer Science post-graduate doing a project to investigate the potential energy savings of a smart thermostat that predicts occupancy in a home. Before I invest too much time learning EnergyPlus I wanted to check that this is the best tool to use for my needs.

Basically what I want the tool to do is build a simple model of a typical UK home using a hot water space heating system (e.g. a condensing boiler). I then need to use an API to link this model (specifically turning heating on/off command) to my own model (for home occupancy predication). My model will be based on several sensors around the home with a controller unit to detect when occupants are asleep / away etc. and regulate the heating accordingly.

The purpose of the model I will develop is to test occupancy prediction algorithm(s) against other thermostat types (e.g. programmable). There will be various metrics to test algorithm effectiveness so accuracy of the home model is not the upmost concern.

The above is a short summary of what I plan to do so my questions are:

-Should I use EnergyPlus directly? I had a look at software using EnergyPlus at <http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory>http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory, but after spending the best part of a day looking through the free tools I think I may be better off avoiding their extra layers of complexity.

-Is there any software out there which is more appropriate or perhaps easier to learn in a short timescale?

-Are there any simple home model examples that I can look at?

Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thank you for your help,
James

 Posted by: <jamdroid09@xxxxxxxxx>