Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] EnergyPlus suitability for use in my postgrad project

Hi James,
Great project! Get in touch - we're very interested. Our gEnergy system builds on SketchUp and EnergyPlus. We've used Trnsys in the past too, as well as Mathematica hooks into EnergyPlus.
<http://greenspacelive.com/wiki/index.php/GEnergy_Public_Projects>http://greenspacelive.com/wiki/index.php/GEnergy_Public_Projects
See eg Single Family House as a starting point:
<http://bit.ly/1h948rG>http://bit.ly/1h948rG
Good luck and look forward to hearing more.
Kind regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPhone
On 1 Jun 2014, at 13:15, "<mailto:jamdroid09@xxxxxxxxx>jamdroid09@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support]" <<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> �
> Hi,

> I am a Computer Science post-graduate doing a project to investigate the potential energy savings of a smart thermostat that predicts occupancy in a home. Before I invest too much time learning EnergyPlus I wanted to check that this is the best tool to use for my needs.

> Basically what I want the tool to do is build a simple model of a typical UK�home using a hot water space heating system (e.g. a condensing boiler). I then need to use�an API�to link this model (specifically turning heating on/off command) to my own model (for home occupancy predication). My model will be based on several sensors around the home with a controller unit to detect when occupants are asleep / away etc. and regulate the heating accordingly.

> �

> The purpose of the model I will develop is to test occupancy prediction algorithm(s) against other thermostat types (e.g. programmable). There will be various metrics to test algorithm effectiveness so accuracy of the home model�is not the upmost concern.

> The above is a short summary of what I plan to do so my questions are:

> -Should I use�EnergyPlus directly? I had a look at software using EnergyPlus at <http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory>http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory,�but�after spending the best part of a day looking through the free tools I think I may be better off avoiding their extra layers of complexity.

> -Is there any software out there which is more appropriate or perhaps easier to learn in a short timescale?

> -Are there any simple home model examples that I can look at?

> Any other advice would be appreciated.
> Thank you for your help,
James

 Posted by: Neil Finlayson <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Primary EnergyPlus support is found at:
<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov

Attachments are currently allowed but be mindful that not everyone has a high speed connection.� Limit attachments to small files.

EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.� Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the Documentation link and press the "search" button.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=3387488/grpspId=1705007389/msgId=32109/stime=1401796643>