Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Difference between PTAC and Unitary

PTAC is single zone only.
PTAC and Unitary will be the same if modeling a single zone and using the same performance curves and fan pressure.
Performance curves are key.
PTAC should be revised to allow OA after cooling coil (where fan is typically located).

On 6/10/2014 2:55 AM, '<mailto:jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx>jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx' <mailto:jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx>jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support] wrote:
> They are pretty much the same. The PTAC is typically a "through the wall" AC serving just the one zone, whereas the Unitary unit is normally a "rooftop" unit and serves multiple zones. But (probably) both can be used for single or multiple zones. Perhaps the default performance curves (especially those of the DX unit) differ, meaning one may be more efficient at one job while the other is better at the job.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen- Sent from my iPhone (excuse the brevity)
> i. A.
Jean Marais
b.i.g. bechtold
Tel.   +49 30 6706662-23
> On 10.06.2014, at 03:45, "bb lei <mailto:bblei828@xxxxxxxxx>bblei828@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support]" <<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear All,
What's the difference between PTAC and Unitary system in E+? If  I want to simulate AC with split component which one should I use?
I mean AC with air handling unit(cooling,heating coil) inside the building and external condensing unit outside the home.
Thanks for your help.
Lei

--
Richard Raustad
Senior Research Engineer

Electric Vehicle Transportation Center
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://evtc.fsec.ucf.edu/";>http://evtc.fsec.ucf.edu/</a>

 Posted by: Richard Raustad <rraustad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Primary EnergyPlus support is found at:
<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov

Attachments are currently allowed but be mindful that not everyone has a high speed connection.� Limit attachments to small files.

EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.� Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the Documentation link and press the "search" button.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=3387488/grpspId=1705007389/msgId=32186/stime=1402400862>