Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Do Shading Devices have Heat Capacity, if not Why?

I don't know, but a wouldn't think that it does have thermal mass...or at least I don't think the thermal mass is incorporated in the model, only the surface reflection/absorbtion properites. Even if it did, I don't think the effect would be measurable. Even using large concrete mass in walls and so on only changes the thermal dynamic in the zone slightly.

Hello EnergyPlus group,

I have been reading through the Engineering Reference manual and haven't be able to find a direct answer to this problem. The manual specifies that glass layers do not have a heat capacity; makes sense, very thin and high conductance.

But do shading devices have a heat capacity? If not, is there a resource that validates this assumption?

I question this because when modeling a venetian blind system, could the stored heat have an negative effect on the heat gain and cooling loads. I assume that with convection heat transfer and conductance of the metal slat venetian blinds the heat is dissipated so quickly heat capacity is not required? What if they had some thermal mass?

Thank you for any help you can provide on this question,

Justin

Posted by: Jean Marais <jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx>