[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Air node energy balance

Liam or others -
Did you ever find an answer to your air node energy balance question?

I have a slightly more specific question but it's related.  The I/O Reference describes the "Zone Air Heat Balance Outdoor Air Transfer Rate" as "the sum of heat transferred to the zone air from all the transfers of air from the outside, such as infiltration."  I am troubleshooting a simulation where this variable does NOT equal the sum of the Ventilation and Infiltration Heat Gain/Loss rates.  Am I missing another source of outside air heat gain/loss?

I appreciate anyone's help.

Brendon Levitt

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <liambrn@...> wrote :

Hi All,

I'm trying to debug a model and have been looking at an energy balance in each zone. I would have expected the sum of the following report variables at any given time to be near 0 (except for rounding errors). However, I've discovered that they only way to achieve this is to have a fixed zone temperature (i.e., cooling setpoint = heating setpoint). I would have expected the Storage variable would reflect any rises and falls in air node temperature and maintain a balance (sum=0). It also doesn't balance over a year. The deviation report variable is 0, indicating that everything's correct. Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks!

Liam O'Brien

Zone Air Balance Internal Convective Gains Rate [W](Hourly)
Zone Air Balance Surface Convection Rate [W](Hourly)
Zone Air Balance Interzone Air Transfer Rate [W](Hourly)
Zone Air Balance Outdoor Air Transfer Rate [W](Hourly)
Zone Air Balance System Air Transfer Rate [W](Hourly)
Zone Air Balance Air Energy Storage Rate [W](Hourly)

Posted by: burin3@xxxxxxxxx