Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Window Shading Control - adjusting roller blind

Hi,

yes, read the "WindowProperty:ShadingControl" section of I/O reference manual.

(For v8.2, that's page 307/2234 absolute, page 260 relative)

"When a shading device is present it is either retracted or activated. When it is retracted it covers none of the window. When it is activated it covers the entire glazed part of the window (but not the frame). Whether the shading device is retracted or activated in a particular timestep depends on the control mechanism: see â??Shading Control Type,â?? below. To model a case in which the shading device, when activated, covers only part of the window you will have to divide the window into two separate windows, one with the shading device and one without the shading device"

So it appears your workaround of dividing window is on target.

(I think dividing your window in ten might be overkilled, unless you have a test building where you know exactly what the shading device's position for each timestep, but maybe that's just me...)

Cheers,
Julien

--
Julien Marrec, EBCP, BPI MFBA
Energy&Sustainability Engineer

LinkedIn (en) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec
LinkedIn (fr) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec/fr

Hi

Am I correct in understanding that WindowMaterial:Shade can only model a roller blind as either being fully deployed or fully open ie:

0.0: Shading device is off (applies to shades and blinds).

1.0: Interior shade is on.

I want to consider a roller blind that can be opened 0%, 10%, 20%.....100%

such that i can test the impact on air flow through an opened window and roller blind

if a roller blind is fully deployed then i can reduce some solar gains, however it will impact on air flows and so i want to model adjusting roller blind position with window opening

Does the AFN consider this?

the only workaround i can think of at the moment is to create a window from ten combined windows each with their own shading device which i control independently to model the various scenarios?

has anyone else attempted something similar?

kind regards

louis

Posted by: Julien Marrec <julien.marrec@xxxxxxxxx>