[EnergyPlus_Support] Dual AHU HVAC system serving a single zone [1 Attachment]

Hi,

Am simulating a space which is served by low temperature radiant underfloor heating and a pair of heating only airhandlers (with no fresh air).

Inline image

I have a model working, using a single AirLoopHVAC, with a pair of Coil:Heating:Water and Fan:ConstantVolume however the airhandlers are not staged on/off sequentially.  Im using an AvailabilityManager:HighTemperatureTurnOff to turn the AHUs off when the setpoint is exceeded.

However both ahus run at the same time, which isnt quite the staged behaviour I am trying to achieve.

Iâ??ve tried:

1. Changing fans from Fan:ConstantVolume to Fan:On/Off so the fans stage with temperature, however I get told I can not use Fan:On/Off with a simple AHU constructed of comonents,
      â???Thiis component may only be referenced by a parent component such as AirLoopHVAC:Unitary:Furnace:HeatCool or similar?.â??

2. Having a pair of AirLoopHVAC objects however the simulation fails because I cant use the demand side nodes in two separate AirLoopHVAC objects
     â???duplicate node name used for Demand Side Outlet?â?¦â??.  There doesnâ??t appear to be a way to have a demand side mixer on the inlet and demand side splitter on the outlet from the zone, as demand side splitters and mixers apepar to be geared towards serving multiple zones with a single piece of plant, rather than serving a single zone from multiple pieces of plant.

3. Using a PlantEquipmentOperation scheme to stage things according to heating load however, Fan:ConstantVolume and Coil:Heating:Water do not qualify as Plant.

Iâ??ve considered trying:

4. Using AirTerminal:SingleDuct:SupplySideMixer and fudging by converting one of the AHUs to a FourPipeFanCoil

5. Having a pair of AirTerminal:SingleDuct:Uncontrolled serving the one zone

What is the suggested best practise way of having multiple pieces of plant serve a single zone in a staged fashion?  Pointers to specific ExampleFiles gladly accepted.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mark Carey

View attachments on the web