[EnergyPlus_Support] Advice on combining measured weather data to form a complete EPW file

Hello All!

I recently posted a question regarding obtaining measured weather data for the creation of EPW files, but since looking at the options, our project group would like to ask some advice on assimilating the data that we have found. To briefly describe our current situation, we have managed to obtain privately measured data from a site (apprx. 3 miles from model site) operated by colleagues at Cardiff University providing air temperature, RH, global solar irradiance (w/s), global illuminance (kLux), diffuse illuminance (kLux), wind speeds, and precipitation every five minutes (much higher granularity than necessary). We feel that this data is preferable to use over Cardiff IAP weather station due to the close proximity. We see a few problems with this data though:

        1. There are data gaps (42 days unaccounted for throughout the 2014 year long period)
        2. We only have global irradiance, global illuminance, and diffuse illuminance as lighting data and are
            afraid that this is insufficient for lighting. (We don't have diffuse or direct irradiance).

As suggested by Joe Huang in the group, I have had a look at the STRANG database, which has been able to provide me with the direct irradiance at the site coordinates through satellite data. My assumption is that it would be suitable to just subtract direct irradiance from the already measured global irradiance in our data set to obtain diffuse irradiance, and thus our lighting issue would be sorted. Is this an appropriate measure? The IDS database did not seem to have the necessary solar data recorded (but perhaps my knowledge of the database is too limited).

As for the 42 days of data gap, would it be suitable to substitute in Weather Underground (Or IDS) Data from Cardiff IAP (apprx. 30 miles away from site) combined with the STRANG data to compensate?

And finally, since the data set we are utilizing does not provide every variable utilized by EnergyPlus in the EPW, would it be suitable to substitute this more accurate weather data into a TRY file of the Cardiff region to ensure compatibility with EnergyPlus?

Apologies for all of the questions, but this is my first time creating a weather file from multiple data sources, and I am unsure whether my outlined process has any glaring issues.

Thanks,

Zach

Posted by: lewisza1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx