Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] incident solar radiation on different latitudes

Several things to consider:
1) how are you defining summer and winter?   I hope not as June 22 and Dec 21, which are not relevant for the tropics.
2) while total annual solar radiation may be strongest at the equator, maximum daily solar (considering just sun angles) is the same anywhere between the tropic of cancer and the tropic of capricorn when the sun is directly overhead at noon. Going from the tropic of capricorn to the equator, solar radiation does not get stronger but is just more constant over the year.
3) the amount of solar radiation entering a window depends entirely on its orientation and the sun position; in northern latitudes, more solar will enter through south-facing windows, in tropical locations through east- and west-facing windows, and in southern latitudes through north-facing windows.

Since the calculation of  solar on surfaces is well understood, I would encourage you to use EnergyPlus to understand the net impact of building geometry and location on the incident solar through windows.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A