Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Infiltration and Ventilation Modeling

Thank you very much for your help and suggestion.
Best.
Tilak

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:51 PM, "Jean Marais jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support]" <EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Your friend is touching on an interesting point.  If you are only concerned with annual energy usage and you have the relevant data for your kind of building and climate, you could lump ventilation and infiltration. This value is then an equivalent value that reflects the increase in annual energy consumption due to these two factors. It is a very valid approach. In fact, it is more accurate than guessing window opening and closing schedules and infiltration rates.
The hard way to model this is to model both infiltration and window ventilation explicitly. This becomes important for thermal comfort assessment. The first method does not capture discomfort, especially for short window opening events in winter and high CO2 levels.
If you are interested in the hard way, check the AirflowNetwork objects including occupant comfort driven window ventilation.
Good luck,
Jean