Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: non-convex warning [2 Attachments]

Dear Julien Marrec,
I don't know how to thank you for your responses. They are great help.
Thank you again.
Best regards,
Tilak

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 4:16 PM, "Julien Marrec julien.marrec@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support]" <EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Tilak, read the I/O reference guide at "Solar Distribution": http://bigladdersoftware.com/epx/docs/8-4/input-output-reference/group-simulation-parameters.html#field-solar-distribution

Your solar distribution is set to FullExterior, which means it'll only calculate shadow patterns on exterior surfaces, and assumes that all beams of solar radiation entering the zone just fall on the floor. So it doesn't care that your zone in concave, just that the roof is not convex. So yes, breaking up the roof into rectangles or triangles will fix this warning.

As far as the size of your zone, I'd say it really depends what you're trying to achieve here. You just have to remember that in E+ the zone is considered to be fully "mixed": whether you're in the center or a corner of the zone, the temperature is the same. It'll represent only one node for the calculation.

--
Julien Marrec, EBCP, BPI MFBA
Energy&Sustainability Engineer

LinkedIn (en) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec
LinkedIn (fr) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec/fr

oh... the bulkhead!!! Thank you.
 Is it  enough to cut the roofs into convex shapes without divining zone into smaller zones .
Also, Based on the previous reply, my zone is too big. Does it cause any problems? I mean: should I divide the zone to smaller zones

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Tilak