Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy Plus Chiller Example - Getting Started

Hi,

You have to understand how OpenStudio, Sketchup and EnergyPlus are linked. EnergyPlus is the engine, OpenStudio is a graphical user interface to energyplus that uses it's own language (very close to the energyplus one) and translates back and mostly forward to energyplus as needed. OpenStudio also has a sketchup plugin that allows geometry creation.

As of right now, OpenStudio has many of the energyplus object available in the GUI (more in the API available through command line or measures but that's advanced...), and it then translates forward to EnergyPlus .IDF file for simulation.

But OpenStudio to do isn't capable of reading many of the energyplus objects into it's own language.

So basically if you try to open an .idf file into OpenStudio, you'll be able to see the geometry and some schedules, but no HVAC etc.

There's some good info on the openstudio website including a "getting started" section.

Best,
Julien

--
Julien Marrec, EBCP, BPI MFBA
Energy&Sustainability Engineer

LinkedIn (en) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec
LinkedIn (fr) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec/fr

Hello ?

Iâ??ve just installed EnergyPlus, Open Studio and Sketchup.

Iâ??d like to understand the workflow in order to run the EnergyPlus Chiller example. Do I need Sketchup to do this?

Any direction on this is appreciated.

I currently use Revit and the Green Building Studio for energy analysis, but Iâ??m looking for more specific capability for analysis of hotels and chiller / cooling tower installations. I will next be investigating the ability to export gbxml from Revit and leverage this in EnergyPlus.

Thanks, -Will

Posted by: Julien Marrec <julien.marrec@xxxxxxxxx>