From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:50 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Doubt about the Airflow Network modelling [1 Attachment]

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a lot of tests to figure out how the airflow network modelling works, because I found some stranges results. I tested, in my simulation, a model with two rooms (4,5 x 4,5 m) with a corridor between them (4,5 x 2,0 m). For natural ventilation, all the time, with the windows and doors opens, there are no infiltration in corridor (air changes per hour = 0) even with the diference of pressure in the two rooms. According with the airflow network modelling in the manual of EP and in some books, like Allard, F (1998):

" the concept of airflow network modelling, a building is represented by a grid that is formed by a number os nodes that stand for the simulated zones and the exterior environment. Interaction between various zones is denoted by flow paths linking their respective nodes. Thus, the rooms of a building are represented by nodes and the openings are represented by linking flow paths. Interaction with the outdoor environment is represented by flow paths linking interior with exterior nodes. All nodes, interior and exterior, are attributed a pressure value (...) a building with N zones is represented by a network of N pressure nodes. Some of them communicate with exterior nodes of known pressure, while others are only connected to interior nodes. Interior node pressures are unknown. Airflow paths can be either cracks, or windows and dorrs. Calculation of unknown pressures is derived by application of mass balance equations at each node"

So why the airflow is not doing that? I tested the EP 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3.

Thank you, and sorry about my written in English.

Caroline

Posted by: "Edward G. Lyon" <EGLyon@xxxxxxx>