[EnergyPlus_Support] Heat recovery has no effect on cooling loads

Dear all,

I am an architect who has basic knowledge of HVAC. I would like to look at the relationship of passive parameters in a model of residential units in Toronto. For HVAC, I use a simple Fan Coil Unit, Air cooled Chiller system. The heating setpoint temperature is 18 C (setback 12 C), the cooling setpoint temperature is 25 C (setback 28 C). The max. supply air temperature for heating 35 C and the max. supply air temperature for cooling is 12 C.

I have two problems I realized in my results:

1. When I turn on heat recovery; if the type is "sensible" there is no difference on both annual and peak cooling. If the type is "entalphy" annual cooling loads decrease only around 2-7% (based on the scenarios), no difference on peak cooling demands.

2. The interior temperatures reaches up to 45 C in summer at some of the units. These units are mostly tight, highly glazed and have high performance envelopes with no heat recovery, no natural ventilation cases. But still, HVAC should do its work, right?

I need your help on understanding the problem. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aylin

Posted by: AYLIN OZKAN <aylin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>