Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Materials U-Value Calculations in E+

Ned, others,

There are two effects going on with R-19 insulation between metal studs:
1) compression of R-19 insulation within the 3.5" cavity,  thus reducing its R-value to 18
2) 2-D heat flow due to the metal studs, which is a much bigger effect with the studs acting like radiator fins.

I don't have an exact number in my head, but I recall that the net effect was to degrade the R-value by a huge amount, like 30-40%.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A