Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Phase Change Materials

Dear Joe,

I am not sure about PCM's as an open studio measure, however if you export to IDF then it is pretty straightforward to add a material with the PCM material properties and a material property phase change object and an object that calls the conduction finite difference algorithm.  In previous work I setup and ran models for thousands of buildings at many locations and found: PCM's are most beneficial in terms of sensible cooling load reduction, operative temperature stabilization for comfort enhancement, and HVAC energy savings in thermal zones that have high daytime heat gains and high nighttime heat losses.

If you have issues setting up your model or interpreting results and post them here I will be happy to help.

Best of regards-

Jeremiah Crossett | Chief Technological Officer | NRGSIM INC. | www.nrgsim.com | 7409 SW Capitol Highway Portland OR, 97219 | 503-688-8951