Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Thermal Bridge

Julian is correct. Some third party GUIs do this for you so that you can input psi-values. They then use the linear thermal bridging values to either
1) derate the construction u-values by decreasing the insulation layer untill the equivalent u-value for the assembly is reached, or
2) they create a subsurface on the base surface with increased u-value to achieve the same equivalent area-weighted u-value for the assembly.

The second method may be a better indicator for condensation analysis on "cold spots" but is still not as good as using a FEM method (like from THERM).

The more surfaces your model has, the more computation time you will need, so the first method is better for speed.

Hope this helps,

Jean