[Equest-users] GSHP EIR Part Load Curve

Tony Kriel tkriel at sustaineng.com
Tue May 20 06:45:55 PDT 2008

SIM List,

We are modeling a GSHP system in eQuest.  After selecting the options in the
wizard and running the model we noticed that the space heating was quite a
bit lower when compared to a VAV system for the same project.

We then went into detailed mode and started to look into what performance
curves the heat pumps had defaulted.  It seemed that the default part load
curve (HEAT-EIR-FPLR) that eQuest selected, seemed very aggressive.  It is
my understanding that the heat pumps cycle on and off when needed, and when
they cycle on and off they operate at 100%.  So, should the part load curve
be changed to be 100%, (ie it shouldn't have a part load curve)?  Or should
we be looking at something else.

Thanks,

Tony Kriel

Mechanical Engineer