[Equest-users] Thermal Storage Systems

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:19:08 PST 2008

Hello All,

I'm working on a file where I'm trying to use thermal storage systems (both
hot and cold).  I've been seriously struggling with these systems.  They
seem to work fine when they are used in a loop as a buffer (say a boiler
supplies heat to the thermal storage system, and to a loop).  But... I'm
trying to recover waste heat from a chiller system.  If I use any of the
thermal storage, it then becomes a load on the system, and demands
re-charging from the boiler.  I actually see an increase in energy use with
a thermal storage tank, in some cases.  Also, when I try to use an equipment
control sequence to turn off a boiler, things get very strange, like thermal
storage tank temperatures going below 0 F, when they should be set to 105,
and charging rates of 1.0 x 10 -6, when the capacity should be 1 MBTU.

Similarly, I'm having trouble with cold storage.  I've seen some posts here
about ice storage systems, so I assume some of you have figured it out.  For
the cold storage system, I'm looking to store cold energy at night with a
chiller, and then use it to offset my needs during the day.  However, once
the thermal storage thank is charged, it rarely empties.  Again, when I
implement any sort of equipment controls strategy, I get very strange
results.

I'm attaching a file that i hope is simple enough for you to look at, any
advice is greatly appreciated.

--
Karen