[Equest-users] 90.1 climate zone

Gaurav Mehta gauravm at rushingco.com
Wed Nov 26 13:40:54 PST 2008

Yuvraj,

Its climate zone 3B for Mexico city.

This is how I determined:

Used the EnergyPlus weather convertor (EnergyPlus v3.0) to convert epw
file to 'statistic report on input file'. This yields a .stat file that
can be opened up in any text editor. Along with other weather information
it also provides the climate type for ASHRAE 90.1-2004.

However, the STAT file for Mexico City on the energyplus weather data
website,  shows the climate type as 4B which is not true, provided climate
type 3 is correct in Table B-3, ASHRAE 90.1-2004. I made a check for
another location, Seattle, WA (King County)- which according to Table B-1
is 4C, however, according to the STAT file on the website, it lists its
climate type as 4A. When one uses the EnergyPlus weather converter, the
STAT file then shows the correct climate zone for Seattle as 4C.

I am enclosing the STAT file that I generated using the weather converter.

Gaurav Mehta, LEEDR AP

Senior Project Energy Analyst

direct: 206.462.7658

fax: 206.285.7111