[Equest-users] Receptacle Energy

James Hess JHess at tmecorp.com
Tue Apr 21 22:01:46 PDT 2009

Good advice, and I agree based on my own measurements of printers, computers, refrigerators, consumer electronics, etc.

The hard part is finding good data. I've had some luck (& fun) with a simple "Kill-A-Watt" plug power meter (available from Amazon for about $25). Over time I take measurements and get a good feel for what things use. For example, I recently measured a typical large office printer for about 600 hours and found the average watts to be about 75 though the nameplate was about 1100. That was interesting because I had no idea how much those used.

I would expect a similiar relationship for the lab equipment in that the average usage will be on the order of between 5 to 30% of nameplate power.

You can also check the EnergyStar or Labs21 websites to see if they have any useful data.

If you are going to measure some panels to get better data, an excellent data logging power meter to do that is the ElitePro by Dent Instruments (a favorite of energy engineers).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

James Hess