[Equest-users] Heat recovery chiller

Eric O'Neill elo at MichaelsEngineering.com
Thu Aug 20 13:53:22 PDT 2009

All,

I'm trying to model a hot water loop that's being heated entirely by a
heat recovery chiller (htrec) and supplying heating to a VAV system. I'd
like to utilize condenser heat prior to rejection to the dry coolers (I
have a large cooling load year around). The trouble is, even though it
appears like it is set up correctly, the system doesn't want to reject
ANY heat to the HW loop. When I just created the loop and ran a
simulation, eQuest gave me an error saying I had no primary heat source
on the HW loop. I tried adding a dummy boiler with virtually no
capacity, and that got rid of the error and allowed me to run, but I
still had no heat going to my HW loop.

Has anyone had success with this? When reading the DOE2.2 dictionary, it
appears this is exactly what the htrec chiller was designed to do, but
nothing I change makes any difference. If anyone's willing, I can send
you a copy of my input and pd2 files to look at.

Thanks,

Eric O'Neill
Mechanical Engineer, LEEDAP
Michaels Engineering

400 Main Street, Ste 200
La Crosse, WI 54601
direct: 608-785-3328
main: 608-785-1900
fax: 608-784-2270
elo at michaelsengineering.com
http://www.michaelsengineering.com

 <<Water Loops.png>>  <<Heat Recovery Setup.png>>