[Equest-users] Modeling Boilers

Kevin Kelly kkelly at r3energy.com
Fri Dec 11 05:48:41 PST 2009

Equest World,

I am trying to fix the boilers in the model and I have a question (both
conceptual and modeling) related to what capacity to model.  This is a new
construction project where I am following 90.1 appendix G.

This is what is going on with the heating boilers (I'll use simplified
numbers)

-          There are 7 hot water boilers that are used for the HHW (total
capacity of 2500 MBTUH)

-          There are a electric fan forced heaters in bathrooms and
stairwells that (70 MBTUH)

-          There is a community room in the basement that has a separate
unit that provides both heating and cooling (heating capacity of 70 MBTUH)

-          The heat from the boilers is sent mostly through baseboard
radiators and a few hydronic systems (total heating capacity of (1200 MBTUH)

-          From the above info, the capacity of the boilers is 2500 while
the total capacity for the heating units that need the hot water is 1200.

o   Is this common?

o   Did the designer screw up?

o   How would you model it in both the baseline and proposed model? (ie
which capacity am I using, or should I just have eQuest autosize the boilers
off of the cooling design?)

I hope this makes sense.  Thanks again for everyone's continued help.
Sooner or later I will have enough skills where I can start answering calls
for help like mine.

Cheers,

Kevin Kelly, LEED AP

Energy Systems Analyst