[Equest-users] Automatic assignment of parameters based on space name?

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Tue Dec 22 13:43:35 PST 2009

I may be asking something that isn't possible, but was wondering if
anyone has ever successfully created code to automatically assign
parameters to a space based on the Space Name.

I know how to create parameters and assign them manually to spaces (so
that I can change, for example, the lighting density of all "office"
spaces with only a couple key strokes).  But I would love to be able to
automatically have eQuest assign these parameters based on a specific
string of characters in that particular space's name.

As an example:

When I set up a building with lots of different space uses and hundreds
of zones, in order to keep track of which zone is which, I'll often add
strings to the end of the space names.

So I might change "EL1 South Perim Spc (G.S1)" to "EL1 South Perim Spc
(G.S1) - Office"

I then might have parameters set up as follows:

OfficeLighting = 1.0

OfficePlugs = 1.25

OfficeOccupancy = 143

Although this helps, I still have to make sure I assign the right
parameters to the right space types, and also assign the right
occupancy, lighting, equipment, infiltration, etc schedules to the
space.  And if that space changes use, I have to reassign everything.

If there was some way to automatically assign all of the office
parameters and schedules to a space based on whether the "Office" string
appeared in the name, it would be awesome.

I realize that this may be a trade secret that people aren't likely to
give up, but if anyone has done this and doesn't mind sharing, I'd
appreciate it!

I'm guessing that regardless of the code used, it would probably be
something where eQuest would load the code every time the project is
opened, and that if you changed a space name within eQuest, you'd
probably have to reopen for it to take effect.  That would still save
time though....

Thanks in advance!

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate

1010 N. Glebe Rd, Suite 200

Arlington, VA  22201-4749

703-338-5754 (Cell)

703-243-1200 (Office)

703-276-1376 (Fax)

www.ghtltd.com <http://www.ghtltd.com/>

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It is the property of GHT Limited.  Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or by e-mail to ght at ghtltd.com, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.  Thank you.