[Equest-users] IPLV in Heat Pumps

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 21 02:15:00 PST 2009

Amandeep:

I agree with John.  Actually, I believe IPLV is a somewhat new rating that applies to larger systems.  EER or COP are much more accurate ratings.

I am confused about the SEER and IPLV ratings.  What temperature bin do they use to calculate these numbers?  It would seem to me that an AC system in the south would operate at a higher load throughout the cooling season than one in the northeast.  Of course, it would depend on how the system was sized.  An oversized system will operate at a much lower load ratio than a tightly sized system.

Does anyone know the formula?

Paul Diglio, CEM