[Equest-users] IPLV in Heat Pumps

Jonathan Curtin jcurtin at WylieAssociates.com
Mon Dec 21 06:52:56 PST 2009

All,

The ASHRAE Journal December 2009 Issue has a fitting article "A Closer
Look at Chiller Ratings" highlighting the problems of over-reliance on
IPLV/NPLV for use with chillers, and specifically what type of impact
climate has on these ratings. Lesson: be wary of these broadly applied
simplified ratings.

eQUEST won't allow you to input IPLV to describe a system, but you can
calculate it for the part-load and off-design performance curves that
eQUEST will use as defaults, and determine if the curves are suitable to
use in your case. Just don't be surprised though if the actual
performance based on your specific building and location ends up nowhere
near the IPLV performance.

Regards,

  Jonathan M. Curtin, EIT, LEED(r) AP
  Mechanical Engineer