[Equest-users] Air side HVAC

Seun Odukomaiya SOdukomaiya at lacquis.com
Thu Apr 1 05:26:45 PDT 2010

John and Sambhav,
You are absolutely correct. If you specify exhaust CFM that exceeds OSA cfm, the OSA cfm is indeed increased to prevent negative pressurization of the zone. This is true if the Exhaust Air Source is specified as "Air Handler" (see screenshot). The other options are "Infiltration" and "Balanced Infiltration". If either of these latter two options are selected, the OSA cfm is not increased, but the exhaust air is made up through outside air infiltration into the zone (note: this is different than zonal infiltration, or space-to-space air transfer). I personally have been unsuccessful using either the "Infiltration", or "Balanced Infiltration" options because my unmet load hours tend to skyrocket when either option is selected. Again, my interpretation is that eQuest is making up the exhaust air with unconditioned outside air, which then dramatically impacts the temperature of the space. If anyone has had any success using these other methods, or some work-around to simulate space-to-space air transfer, I would be very interested in hearing about it.
As John has already stated, with any of the three options, eQuest will account for fan power based on your input KW/cfm or a combination of Static Pressure and Efficiency.

Seun Odukomaiya, LEED AP  -  Mechanical Engineer
L'Acquis Consulting Engineers
9229 Delegates Row, Suite 550
Indianapolis, IN 46240
voice:  (317) 706-2075 Ext. 255