[Equest-users] Trouble with thermal process loads in eQUEST

Adrian Gurga gurga at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 23 15:53:37 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to add a process load which consumes natural gas in eQUEST.  I'm
doing it through the Design Development wizard.  I have enabled process
loads by clicking the Process Loads box on page 15 (non-HVAC enduses to
model) of the shell editor.  That enables page 21 (process loads and
profiles).  In this, I can specify electric loads without a problem.  I just
add in the watts per square foot and the electricity consumption goes up.
 Perfect.  The trouble is the thermal loads, which are to the right of the
electrical loads.  First I just tried entering 100 Btuh per square foot but
left sensible fraction as zero.  Then I ran the model and there was no
change.  Adding 100 Btuh per square foot has no effect on the natural gas
consumption in the model.  If I try the same thing but increase the sensible
fraction it will decrease the energy use in the model because it's assuming
we get free heating from our process load, which is the opposite of what I
want because it's assuming that process energy just magically appears in the
building.  For some reason, adding a process load of X Btuh has no effect on
the energy consumption.  How do I properly add this load?

--
Adrian Gurga
Smart Energy Design Assistance Center