[Equest-users] Modeling Light Shelves for Reduction inCooling/Heating Load?

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Aug 23 12:49:10 PDT 2010

Perhaps these are the answers you're seeking:

1.       Building shades and their respective reflectance properties do
affect the modeled behavior of space daylighting systems in eQuest
models.  Be sure to pay close attention to all three values (and their
associated help files) on the right of the following image - they may
all play a part depending on what exactly you're trying to model.

2.       Based on your query, a caution:  eQuest's results do not have
any inherent degree of accuracy/in-accuracy with regard to the modeled
energy consumption resulting from daylighting controls - that depends
pretty much entirely on how closely you define the daylighting systems'
behavior to reality.  If you have a program which you perceive to be
producing more accurate hourly percentage consumptions for your spaces,
then by all means - there's nothing stopping you from defining a
schedule in eQuest to match the other program's results.

I expect you mean to say you're utilizing another program to accurately
determine the behavior of daylight in response to adding/modifying light
shelves, but if you are indeed using another program to determine annual
hourly behavior with a weather file, I'd be very interested to hear more
about it!

Best of luck,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.