[Equest-users] Modeling Light Shelves for Reduction inCooling/Heating Load?

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Mon Aug 23 14:02:42 PDT 2010

Equest, like DOE2.1e before it provides very
generous estimates of the lighting energy saved
using daylighting controls.  I believe that
taking equest predictions at face value for LEED
models would be inaccurately providing more
benefit than warranted.  The Appendix G power
factor ratings are likely not conservative in
some cases.  I wouldn't expect to see any more
benefit using equest's daylighting than I would
using the Appendix G power factor adjustments.

A paper that attempted to explore various
daylighting energy reduction savings modelling
strategies.  DOE2.1e and Daysim are the two programs used for the analysis.
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/obj/irc/doc/pubs/nrcc46761/nrcc46761.pdf