[Equest-users] Air Side Economizer savings

Amber Welsh amber at timmonsdesigneng.com
Thu Aug 12 06:59:32 PDT 2010

Anusha,

Are you having this problem with the Packaged multizone or the packaged
VAV?  If you are having the problem with the packaged multi-zone that is
b/c you have a dual duct system and while you are cooling off the SAT,
you are also lowering the heating temp (which then has to be heated).
This is expected for Packaged multizone (or dual duct systems where each
zone air is mixed).

In regards to economizer setting you should try and see the cooling
savings you get when the economizer is set to 70F and even up to 73F.
The air is likely not too humid when the OSA temp is this mild.  This
will reduce your cooling because it reduces the delta T seen at the
coil.  You will want the compressor to be able to run when the
economizer is on b/c you may be bringing in 70F air (which is better
than 76F return air temp) and this temp will need to be reduced to 55F
(or whatever your setpoint).

Make sure you have cooling deck supply reset, so you can reduce the
heating when most of your building will need heating.

Amber